The heat is on! Everywhere in London will be packed with sports fans this Summer during the Olympic games and prices of foods and hotels are reaching or already at their peak. Having said that, while sportsaholic hoping to experience the Olympics heat will not mind, other travelers may find the England capital way too hot to stay any longer. Why stick to the capital when UK has many other travel destinations to suit all types of travelers? Let’s consult the route planner to travel away from London and start exploring other parts of UK this summer!
One of the best transportation options in UK is by car. For short tours out of London, UK’s comprehensive motorway connections will surely entice any traveler to just rent a car and drive away! Here are some of the top destinations in UK which I have been to and are great to explore by car.
1) Bath is perhaps the most popular tourist destination away from London. It is a historic Roman and Georgian spa city which was inscribed as a World Heritage Site in 1987. Situated 100 miles west of London, Bath is famous for its hot springs, Roman period baths, Medieval heritage and stately Georgian architecture.
2) Located 50KM South East of Bath, Stonehenge must not be missed if you are exploring UK! Stonehenge is a well-known Neolithic and Bronze Age huge stone monument lined up in circus. Located in a UNESCO World Heritage Site on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, it is truly an archaeological icon in UK and even the whole Europe.
3) One of my favourite cities in England, Cambridge is the university city that brings many images to mind: the breathtaking view of King’s College Chapel from across the river Cam, the rich intricacy of Gothic architecture, and of course how Sir Isaac Newton, one of the famous alumni of Cambridge, discovered the force of gravity under an apple tree in Cambridge! Also an university city, Oxford is another famous site for scholars.
4) Driving further up to the North, York is the historic city that frequently ranked second most visited city in England after London. Not unexpected, famous for giving its name to the city of New York, York has many ancient architectures with invaluable archaeological value to explore, such as York Minster cathedral, Clifford’s Tower, York Wall, and the Castle Museum, to name a few.
5) Blackpool is the capital of fun parks located at seaside in the North West of England. Over 12 million people visit Blackpool each year, making it one of the top holiday resort or British. 2 of the most frequented sites, Pleasure Beach Blackpool is UK’s largest open air fun fair and Eiffel Tower alike Blackpool Tower is great for overviewing the great cityscape.
6) For fans of Manchester United and Manchester City football clubs, you can pay pilgrimage to Manchester in the north west of England.
Driving tour around the UK to explore all the above attractions can be sometimes challenging. However, with some helps from route planners available now to plan your travel itinerary, it will surely make your journey a total peace of mind experience. – Travel Feeder, your ultimate travel photo blog